Sunday 3 April 2011

slaughterhouse five and ....pride & prejudice? o_O

Please note that this was written upon request from ding dong. (Ding dong, be glad >.> I spent quite a while on this just for you grrr). Also, the connections are based on the movie, not the book. 


So..recently, I watched the amazing Classic Pride & Prejudice avec my mom and oh my, my, my, was Mr Darcy charming *o* 
I'll be honest; when I first saw the DVD Cover, I was a tad bit disappointed when I saw the actor who played Mr Darcy. I mean, why couldn't they cast Orlando Bloom? He was so attractive and already captured several ladies' hearts in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Troy, and of course, Pirates of the Caribbean. But to my surprise, as the movie progressed, I was enchanted by Darcy, who barely had any lines throughout the movie (maybe he had a bit more?). But anyways, that's not the point..point is, today, I'm gonna relate this classic to Vonnegut's Children's Crusade. (Oh dear... -_-)


SO. First off! .......
Ahem, first off! .........
Gaahh..can't think of anything, I'll get back to you on this..


(Two days later)
I GOT ONE. 


In Pride & Prejudice, Lizzie Bennett (main character) is the second-oldest of five sisters, whose mother greatly wishes for her daughters to marry*. When Mr. Darcy came to the little town of Meryton, Lizzie was greatly prejudiced towards Mr. Darcy and thought him to be proud, arrogant, and uninteresting and deemed him as the "last person in the world she will ever marry." As the story progresses, they both begin to fall for each other and Lizzie realizes Mr Darcy's generous compassion. 
This (after much thought) is sort of like how I felt towards Billy Pilgrim (minus the sentimentality and attraction). When I was first introduced to Billy, I thought him a ridiculously, hopelessly depressing character. I mean, who can get more depressing than that? Sure, there are times in your life when you don't have the courage to do something but just to be willing to die like that? Come on, dude. (This is referring to the part in the novel when Billy, Roland and the other two "musketeers" were running from the Germans and Billy just wanted to stay behind and die.)
So throughout the novel, you could say I was pretty prejudiced towards Billy, assuming he would chicken out whenever he was faced with a dilemma. Or just going with the flow and not standing up for himself. He even married Valencia and didn't even love her or cared about the status and money he would inherit, but just went along with everything and did as he was told. Oh Billy.. -_-
So when those Tralfamadorians kidnapped Billy and he was travelling through time and did whatever else he was doing. I did not think he would go to New York and announce it on the radio. With his personality, many would assume that the only thing he would've done was to keep quiet and just continue on living with his life.
When he ended up in the hospital after the plane crash, what he said to the Rumfoord (the professor with the hospital bed beside Billy's) also surprised me. Rumfoord was interested in the Dresden bombing, which Billy experienced first-hand. So I was pretty taken-back when Billy told Rumfoord that he witnessed the bombing, even when Rumfoord rudely displayed his disliking towards Billy. Again, knowing Billy, you would think he'd just keep quiet and ignore Rumfoord's comment. But instead, he spoke out again and informed the professor that he himself was there at Dresden. This is also pretty shocking because soldiers (and doctors even) who witnessed war and death first-hand never share their experiences with anyone.
Billy changed a lot throughout the novel, or maybe the Tralfamadorians unleashed a courageous aspect of him, or maybe Vonnegut just felt like throwing that in into Billy's character to throw me off, grrr >> 
But anyways, although the characters of Billy and Darcy are completely different, they do share one similarity: proneness to prejudice. 


Ding dong, HA MISSION ACCOMPLISHED xD


Kay, bye guys


liz (...man that was tough.. >.<)


*Back in the day when Jane Austen wrote P&P, women were ineligible to receive any inheritance from their fathers, even if they were born first. All inheritance would go to the next male relation. So, it's understandable that Mrs Bennett would want her daughters married for if Mr Bennett (the father) passed, her and the girls will be left without a home and without money. 

2 comments:

  1. lmaooo do u still want my Pride and Prejudice book? cos i can't find it =S
    it's such a dry txt i didn't even get 3/4 of the way thruuu

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol..well if you can't find it then what's the point of letting me borrow it? really, I read a bit of the first chapter and I'm loving it so far *o*

    ReplyDelete